Inspiration in Action by Deb Blum
Inspiration: Your breathing is your greatest friend. Return to it in all your troubles and you will find comfort and guidance. ~The Teaching of Buddhist Master
Action: Breathing exercises can reduce stress, increase energy, and improve your mood. Deep breathing signals your mind to slow down and to connect with your body and heart. This action of breathing consciously can promote inner peace and clarity of mind. Today, try to find times when you can make a conscious effort to breathe deeply.
- Breathe in through your nose, keep your belly relaxed, and allow the air to fill up your chest and belly.
- Hold the breath in for a moment.
- Finally, exhale slowly through your mouth. To do this, think of pressing your belly button towards your back.
- Make sure you exhale fully – in fact, you might want to try to exhale a tiny bit more once you feel you have fully exhaled.
- Here are some places where you can try to breathe consciously: in the car, while waiting (for anything), when you are going to sleep, when you wake up…just about anytime you have a free moment, try to remember to breathe. It requires some commitment, but the short and long term benefits are worth it. Give it a try!